UCPori Visiting Scholar
Finland has a particular charm that lies in the combination of world-class education, research, technology, design and beautiful, unspoilt nature. Finland is known as a comfortable and safe living environment, as confirmed by quality-of-life studies, and has been ranked among the world’s top countries for higher education. It has even been declared the world’s best country to live in.
Located on the west coast of Finland, Pori is home to 85,000 people and rapidly evolving into a hot spot for higher education and culture. The total student population at the University Consortium of Pori and the universities of applied sciences in the region is around 10,000.
Pori was founded in 1558 in the proximity of the sea and Kokemäenjoki River. This ideal location made possible for Pori to grow into an international city of commerce and industry. Yyteri Beach serves those who want to relax and be active. Kirjurinluoto Park is a unique heart of the city next to the river providing activities for all age groups. Rich culture has always had a strong standing in Pori. Pori is one of the leading Finnish cities in happenings.
University Consortium of Pori (UCPori) is a center of nearly 3 000 students, 170 experts and four universities networked in a multi-science environment. UCPori carries out high quality multidisciplinary research and education in arts, economics, culture, industrial management, technology and social sciences. The campus is ideally located in the historical milieu of an old cotton mill on the north bank of the Kokemäenjoki River, in the heart of the city.
In order to advance international research cooperation, UCPori invites faculty or other qualified individuals employed or appointed at foreign academic institutions to apply for UCPori Visiting Scholar designation. Visiting Scholar designations are usually for 3 to 6 months, although longer appointments (maximum 1 year) are possible. One of the UCPori units, depending on the Visiting Scholar's host university, manages the administration of the appointments.
For the 2016-17 academic year, following professors / research teams are willing to host a visiting scholar
- Professor Jaakko Suominen, University of Turku (Degree Programme in Cultural Production and Landscape Studies)
- Associate professor Marko Seppänen (Tampere University of Technology Pori Unit)
- Adjunct Professor, University lecturer Heli Aramo-Immonen (Tampere University of Technology Pori Unit)
- University researcher Kristian Kiili (Tampere University of Technology Pori Unit)
- University researcher Anu Lähteenmäki-Uutela (University of Turku, School of Economics): economic impacts of environmental law, corporate social responsibility and business ethics, food law, employee welfare, applied evolutionary psychology)
- Professor Jari Multisilta (Tampere University of Technology Pori Unit): applications of multimedia, distance learning, mobile Internet technologies, and mobile communications and services