Before arrival

  • Non-EU/EEA citizen will need to apply for a Residence Permit before arrival to Finland. As a rule, you must submit the application for your first residence permit to the Finnish embassy in your home country before entering Finland. A fee will be charged for the processing of the application. Please consult the Finnish Immigration Service for detailed information about the residence permit application procedure.
  • EU/EEA citizens may apply for residence permit for researcher at the local police station within 3 months after arriving to Finland.
  • Non-EU/EEA citizens are required to have health insurance before arrival. Without insurance, a residence permit cannot be granted. It is advisable to purchase a travel insurance as well.
  • EU/EEA citizens, check your insurance with your own insurance company. It is strongly recommended to take out insurance (including baggage, travel and legal insurance) even if you come within the local health insurance provisions.
  • When planning your visit, please notice the general cost of living in Finland. We recommend at least 1000 euros per month for accommodation, food and other expenses.
  • The International Office will assist, but finding a place to stay for your period in Pori also requires independent effort from you. Read more about the housing alternatives.
  • Pori is situated on the western cost of Finland about 250 km from Helsinki. There are various ways to reach Pori (see location and maps).